Friday 6 April 2018

Critical Reflection


About three years ago, I was unsure about what was expected of me in this module. My only objectives were to make improvements on the writing and communication skills which I have neglected throughout my years of studies. Today, I can proudly say that I have made great improvements and has met my goals after attending a full trimester of the effective communication module. This is made possible with the continual assignments and class exercises to regularly refine my writing and communication skills. Apart from which, kind and informative feedbacks from my professor and classmates has assisted me in identifying and working on my weaknesses. I believe that by applying the skills I have learnt into my daily life, it will help me in further improving my writing and communication skills.  

One key takeaway for me would be my personal oral presentation experience. With the peer review system, it showed me my strengths and weaknesses through a well structured written format. This method gave me the chance to constantly refer to it for my continuous self-improvement. I used to not realize my faults simply because the nervousness of presenting hindered me to seeing my own problems. The peer review and comments from the professor is informative yet impactful, making me realize the importance of changing myself. Both the mock and the actual presentation has made me a better presenter, and I will continue to keep making efforts to constantly surpass myself. This experience not only taught me to be a better presenter, but also the essential of being a better writer and speaker in any sort of situation and condition.

This project experience has taught me to be calm and confident when I speak, and clear and concise when I write.


Read and commented on: Shih Chieh, Jasmine, Wei Ming and Haziq

5 comments:

  1. Hey Huan Choon,

    Firstly, sorry for the grammar nazi in me but first sentence, "About three ago," i am sure something
    Is missing there.

    Next, i definietely agree with you that the peer evaluation has been really useful in identifying your weaknesses.

    Lastly, it is nice to see that you have improved and be a more confident presenter through this module. Hope we could be working together in the near future. Also, would like to end by saying thank you for being one of my blog buddies. Appreciate it.

    Cheers,
    Ziq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haziq,

      Thank you for pointing out the missing word, I am really glad you did. It is nice to have you as one of my blog buddies as well. I too appreciate it.

      Cheers,
      Huan Choon

      Delete
  2. Hey Huan Choon,

    I see that you had come a long way into writing and speaking better throughout the course! I believe there are many obstacles along the way but we have persevered and strived in improving our English as a whole.

    Sorry for pointing out. In the sentence, "Both the mock and the actual presentation has made me a better presenter." has would be singular and cannot be used on two things which makes it plural. Have would be a better option.
    There are exceptions too. Have can be used singular if its referred to yourself. eg. you have done this...

    Nonetheless, thank you for sharing your experience and growing with the class. We are still learning and through helping one another, we grow as a team.

    Regards,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Huan Choon,

    This is a good reflection. You state that you were able to achieve the goals you had 'vaguely' set for yourself at the start of the module. You also focus on how your practice and delivery of various presentations helped you in terms of your learning and genreal confidence.

    I do have a question though: Where do you go from here in terms of skills development? What do you feel you need to work on?

    Whatever the case, I appreciate your sharing in this post and all the effort you made this term.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post. Your kind feedback has been noted and I will make the necessary amendments as soon as possible.

      Regards,
      Huan Choon

      Delete

Analytical Reflection

Allow me first to congratulate the top three winning teams and thank all the teams for allowing me to observe such a wonderful showcase. I...